Our Professional Special Diets Course has been designed to give you the tools to become an expert in adapting a recipe to a specific diet whether it is based on health reasons or religious beliefs. Any chef working in the health, childcare or aged care sector must know how to create meals that fulfil the dietary requirements of the clients of the institution and work with dietitians to ensure that the recommended dietary intake is achieved.
In order to be able to prepare foods that fulfil nutritional and dietary requirements as well as specific cultural or religious needs, a thorough understanding of the underpinning information is necessary.
Some of topics covered include:
- Health and Legal consequences
- Diets for Coeliac, Gluten Free, Restricting Sodium, Diabetics, Cholesterol, Weight Loss
- Religion-based and Cultural diets, preparation and cooking for religion
- Healthy diets and menus
Mode of Learning
Online – Blended Learning
In this programme you will learn the skills you need to gain confidence and knowledge in:
- The impacts of nutrition and guidelines
- Adjusting recipes
- Healthy related diets
- Understanding safe ingredients and cross contamination
- Food sensitivity and allergies
- Recommendations for healthy eating for diabetics
- Texture modification
- Health and legal consequences
- Diets for coeliac, gluten free, restricting sodium, diabetics, cholesterol, weight loss
- Religion-based and cultural diets preparation and cooking for religion
- Healthy diets and menus
International Culinary Studio is the only blended online culinary educator in New Zealand accredited by the World Chefs’ Association, something we are very proud of. Based in Christchurch, New Zealand, we are committed to providing professional, excellent technology driven education which comprises of accredited courses as well as a range of industry specific, hobby and Junior Chef online culinary courses internationally.
Taught by industry leading chef educators, blended learning combines in-person teaching and online education, which is a transition away from the days when a teacher would stand up in front of a room and lecture for an hour. This is largely thanks to the rapid development of technology, which allows us to learn at a faster, broader rate. The blended learning approach is extremely flexible, meaning that hospitality students can study and work at the same time.
We work closely with our students to offer our unique career related programme which includes an industry externship, ensuring students gain the necessary skills to be confident in a commercial culinary environment.